No announcement yet.

{The List} Civilization Traits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would they bother doing that? I mean, what would the UU be, the exploding sheep? Inter-continental ballistic rugby ball? I suppose ANZACs is a suggestion, but an Australian Civ would take that.

We're more likely to see a Maori civilisation than a New Zealand one.

Comment

Let major civs give you a choice of different historical versions of that civ. Let there be 100 civs divided into many small culture groups, each civ in a group having all the same stats and the same special unit but different city names. Let there be default settings for each civ, with the option to change them in setup. Let Traits change because of things that happen in the game.

I like Wry's idea about all units of one civ having the same special abilities. Also based on his post, I want different kinds of animals native to different places and migrating.

I do want a somewhat larger number of main traits to choose from. I also want many forms of differences between civs.

Comment

The idea that certain nationalities are militaristic, commercial et cetera by nature is nothing but racism.
        If there's an option to turn off traits, then does that really matter Optimizer? Civilizations real life "Traits" WERE shaped by the areas they lived in, just as you want it to be... and if firaxis doesn't have the time to code evolving traits, then setting DEFINED traits is the best that they can do I mean, what else would they do if they can't code evolving traits?
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I guess evolving traits compliments including more civs than can each be distinctively designed.

Comment

No I honestly didn't expect a NZ civ, too small and young. I was merely point out that the traits system should be regarded as a compliment to those involved

Comment

Traits should be linked to the nation's culture, not their "race", so it's not racism at all.

As for more traits, that, of course, depends on the new aspects of civ4. So the new traits available can take full advantage of it. Some that I came up with were extensions of the different things I came up with elsewhere. Anomalies (random events) like plagues and scisims and stock market crashes are mentioned a lot.

Trait I thought of:

- Trans-national -- AI treat you as if you are part of their cultural group (AI are initaly more friendly to civs of their own cultural group). Lowered vulnerability to defection/propaganda/breakaways. Assimilate rival civ's people quicker in conquered cities. Immune to militarism (+5 shields when producing combat units; increased AI aggression)

Canada, Israel, Spain, Tibet, and India could be examples of those with this trait, due to mixed ethnic and cultural background, they blend well with different cultural groups.

That's the only new1 i can think of adding. As for the old ones, I'd make some changes. Here are some additional things I'd want:

- Commercial -- Easier to build Marketplace/Bank/SX. Reduced effect of economic collapse (2x corruption)

- Industrial -- Every city has the effect of 1 extra public works citizen (see the improvements thread for more). Reduced effect of industrial bust (-1 shields in every city square).

- Agricultural -- Easier to build ecology/growth improvements. Famines end quicker (-1 food in every city square)

- Expansionist -- Cheaper embassies/embassy missions. Reduced chance of breakaways.

- Sea-faring -- Can trade across sea squares from the start (even if their trade partner can't). Pollution doesn't destroy fish/whale stocks.

- Scientific -- Can CHOOSE which tech they get for free at the era advancement. Immune to zealotry (which randomly destroys science improvements in nation)

- Religous -- Immune to religous scisms (which would randomly destroy religous improvements in nation)

- Militaristic -- Increased chance of militarism (+5 shields when producing combat units; increased AI aggression)

Comment

Although a new system could be interesting, a number of civ-style games now have had some kind of distinction between civs. Perhaps follow my dream - take the traits a step further towards the customizability afforded in SMAC, whilst keeping them balanced and bug-free.

So in short - keep the traits, maybe add some more, and make them customisable.
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Trans-national sounds too unknown, what about diplomatic?

Comment

For religious trait, I'd drop teh free government changing, and grant an extra happy citizen in every city.
                    The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
                    And quite unaccustomed to fear,
                    But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
                    Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

I like the free government change idea, because churches usualy help re-establish order in government turmoil (Just look at how Iraq's changing so quicky from despotism to democracy -_-)

Comment

what do you mean too unknown?

Comment

Working...
                        X